MS CREMEN'S ENGLISH CLASS

Friday, September 28, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Dog

I listened carefully to my paws gently crushing the leaves that were strewn across the forest floor.  Moving swiftly along, not a care in the world. 

I'd be reaching the town soon.  I had slowed down to listen to the mellifluous sound of the birds singing their morning chorus.  I laughted to myself.  My long russet-coloured plume swaying along behind me, as if it was conducting the birds in their song.

Finally I had reached the road.  A gentle zephyr flew past me, ruffling my silken coat and gently moving the fallen leaves along the pavement.  It was a sombre day in November.  Giant puffs of cloud hovered above my head.  Rays of golden sunlight were struggling to break through.

I trotted along cheerfully.  My amber irises scanning my surroundings, I soon spotted something of great interrest: A Butcher's Shop.  I lurched forward.  My mighty paws beating off the cracked pavement as I galloped.

I waited until the butcher was distracted to make my move.  I leaped up snatching a crimson slab of meat before running off, the bewildered butcher shaking his fist and shouting loud words at me.

I didn't stop running until I reached the forest.  Adrenaline was pumping through my veins, but it was worth it.

I settled down in the debris of leaves, munching triumphantly on my steak once again listening to the gentle morning chorus of the sparrows.
 
Sophie Darling
Age 13 (2009)